Two piece stoma bags have a separate adhesive (flange/baseplate) with a raised collar over which the stoma bag is fitted. The flange can be kept on for 2 -3 days and the new bags can be attached when necessary.
- Wash hands
- If using a drainable or urostomy bag, empty the contents of your stoma bag into the toilet
- Apply medical adhesive remover spray or wipe on top and around the edge of the flange to be removed and wait a few seconds
- Gently peel back the flange, holding the skin above taut to ease removal. Apply additional medical adhesive remover if required
- Remove excess soiling on the stoma and surrounding skin with a dry, non-woven wipe
- Use water to wet a non woven wipe and wash stoma and surrounding area, then dry thoroughly
- If necessary, check the size of your stoma, using a measuring card
- If your flange needs adjusting, cut a hole to the required size using a pair of pouch cutting scissors*
- Remove the protective cover from the adhesive flange
- Fit flange from the bottom and smooth over from the stoma to the edge ensuring there are no creases in the adhesive
- Attach stoma bag to the flange from the bottom ensuring that the bag and flange are aligned
- Hold in place with your hand for 30 seconds to a minute, as the warmth improves the adhesion to your skin
* Pouch cutting scissors are available free of charge or a pouch cutting service is available, also free of charge, to current users of the SecuriCare home delivery service.